Tuesday, June 8, 2010

May 31 2010 - ship's log 04: Hi, what's your name?

Wihtout a alarm clock I downloaded one for my notebook. I put the Beatles' song Paperback Writer to wake me up at 6:00am. The ILAC's folder instruct me to be there at 8:00am. Just in case I prepared my cell phone to wake me up too.

I woke up, dressed and prepared my breakfast - toasted bread overed by peanut buttter and red fuits jam, and a glass of milk. At 7:16am I left home and went walking to skytrain station. At the station entry I took a Metro for the paperboy.

Arriving earlier than 8:00, I had had to wait for the school's opening time. I met Ana and Raíssa waiting too, we talked about our homestay and how we do to go to ILAC from our homestay.

After confirm our accpetance we follow a guy to another building to do the tests: speaking and grammar. During the speaking test you have time to know other students, they gave us a list of questions to do this: 'what's your name?', 'how are you?', 'where do you go?', etc. After concluding our tests, Manuela [ILAC's Activities Dirrector] explained how ILAC works: student ID, levels, who are the staff, etc. After that we went out from building to take a walk around the square. They show us some buildings: stores, bank, place to meet other students to do the activities, skytrain station, etc. Coming back to ILAC main building, they served us pizza to lunch. After the lunch, the girls: Ana and Raíssa, started to access the internet, because they don't have at their homestay.

First impressions of school: they have a good structure - they could help the students very well and make a lot of money.

I started to look around a place to buy gel to my hair and a plug adpter to my cell phone and electric shaver. In our walk to know around there, we saw a sign: Future Shop, that we supposed to be a electronic store. We decided to be there because Ana wanted to buy a notebook, and I could see for my adapter.

We went to Future shop, and started to look inside the store. Ana went to notebooks area, I was following Raíssa to camera's area. She found one that she wanted to buy, but she had bought another one in another store - both are very good. She regret about her buy, I know this feeling, it's very bad, after a time you have to move it on - it happens when you are in a new city [it's not only because you are in another country]. Suddenly a attendant starts to speak with us in portuguese, I asked him in English about netbooks, and he asked for what model I was looking for, I said that I wanted a Toshiba's one. Ana asked him about the notebooks, after that I asked about my adapter. I spend absurds $11,19 for the plug adapter - inevitable.

Getting out from electronic store, Ana wanted to pass in a Starbucks, she took her Frappuccino and we take a time for rest. Comming back, I wanted to buy my hair gel - I spent $6,72 for the gel and a bottle of water. Conclusion no.1: it is a such expensive city.

Arriving at home 4:30pm, I talked with some friend at messengers [msn, gtalk] and my family. It was a sunny night, after a rainy day - so I suggested to take a walk. They accepted the idea and suggested the Queen Elizabeth Park - a big one, comparing to the others [Memorial and Columbia]. We walked to the top, there a good view from Vancouver, unfortunately I was not prepared with my cam.

We couldn't wait for the sunset, because the lights on the streets are not so good and it would to happen only at 10:00pm and was 8:40pm. Comming back, I prepared my alarm clock again and slept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwap79uy1G8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback_Writer
http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/home.aspx
http://www.starbucks.com/
http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth/qemap.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment